Free IRS support app
IRS2Go is the free official app from the Internal Revenue Service. Although taxpayers can’t use it to submit their tax returns, it’s helpful if you want to check your tax refund status, make a payment, or receive advice. If you need to submit returns, you can try TurboTax instead.
Is the IRS2Go app safe?
The app requires you to enter personal information to avoid the risk of fake apps trying to obtain your personal information. It has excellent security settings and can ask to link to your Google Play account.
How do I set up IRS2Go?
It’s extremely easy to get started with the IRS2Go app. During the installation process, you’ll need to grant the app the following permissions to use its services:
- Location: The app needs your location to provide you with details of the nearest sources of free tax advice.
- Phone: The phone enables you to call the IRS through the app.
- Photos/Media/Files: The photos/media/files section of the app stores maps and data on your device. This means you don’t need to download the information every time it’s required.
What time does the IRS2Go app update?
IRS2Go updates on working days between midnight and 6 am. If you filed your tax return electronically, the refund payment checker is available seventy-two hours later. If you filed a paper tax return, you have to wait four weeks for the app to start displaying that information.
Tax tips are updated daily during the tax-filing season and periodically during the rest of the year.
IRS2Go is an extremely useful app for quick, mobile access to some of the most-used tools on IRS.gov.
Some taxpayers have commented that they weren’t able to access their tax refund information within the stated timeframes. There may be an element of manual uploading before the data appears in the app.
Our favorite feature is the ability to find local sources of tax advice. However, if you're looking for an app that easily allows you to file your tax return on your mobile device, TurboTax is an excellent option.
Should you download it?
Yes, but bear in mind that it’s designed as a companion app rather than a fully featured one.
- Daily updates of tax refund information
- Secure when downloaded from official sources
- Provides local contacts for tax advice
- Enables you to connect with the IRS while on the go
- Tax refund data not always available within the stated timeframes