Free program for viewing AutoCAD files
If you don’t need a complete AutoCAD program, but still work with DWG files, Trueview has you covered.
Autodesk DWG Trueview is a free and easy-to-use software that enables you to view DWG files created with AutoCAD programs. You can also convert those files to other formats for quick sharing.
Is DWG True View free?
Yes, it’s free for both private or commercial use.
Autodesk Design Review is an amazing companion software that contains additional tools, including markup and status tracking. Fortunately, Design Review is also free.
What is DWG TrueView used for?
You can open and view DWG files that have been created in most CAD software. The app is ideal if your work doesn’t involve creating DWG files but requires you to view and share them.
What programs can open a DWG file?
There’s a wide range of programs that opens a DWG file. It’s supported natively in AutoCAD programs, and non-natively in others. DWGSee and Fusion 360 are a couple of solid alternatives to Autodesk DWG Trueview.
How do I use DWG TrueView?
Here’s our quick guide:
- Zoom in/out and drag it until you have the required view
- Zoom into the area you want to measure
- Select the measure function from the toolbar
- Draw the outline of the area to be measured
- Type ‘T,’ to display the area measurement
- When you’re done, press ‘Escape’ on your keyboard to remove the measurement
- Print the entire drawing or select just a portion of it
- Select your preferred options from the print dialog
- Choose whether to print or convert (to PDF, for example)
How do I install TrueView?
The app is developed by Autodesk, so you can download and install it from their website. Once installed, you can fiddle with many of the settings according to your preferences. The area that you’ll most likely want to customize is the toolbar. You can tweak it as much as you want to fit your workflow.
If your role in the design workflow is a supporting one, you probably don’t need a full-featured AutoCAD program. With Trueview you can check drawings, measure areas within them, and convert them to more commonly used file types. Additionally, this app allows you to share with members of the design chain who don’t have DWG compatible software.
Should you download it?
Yes. If you’re not looking for a fully-featured program and mainly need to read DWG files, TrueView is a worthwhile download. You can also try DWGSee and Fusion 360.
- Simple to learn and use
- Convert to older file types or to PDF
- Companion software Autodesk Design Review
- No editing functions