Note-taking app with cloud sync
Notability for Mac is a digital note-taking app that lets you combine handwriting, photos, and text, in one place. It supports Apple Pen and can convert handwriting to text. It syncs across your devices via iCloud, so it’s easy to pull all your information and media together and stay organized.
Does Notability sync across devices?
Yes, it syncs across your devices via your iCloud subscription. However, to use it across your devices, you’ll have to buy the iOS version separately for an extra fee.
What’s better, Notability or GoodNotes?
They’re both excellent apps in their own ways, so it depends on your priorities.
Notability’s advantage is the many types of content that you can import into your notes, including audio files. However, GoodNotes stand-out feature is the organization of your notes. It allows you to create folders and sub-folders. Notability on the other hand, just has a two-level folder system consisting of folders and subjects.
Can you convert handwriting to text?
Yes, you can. Here’s how:
- Draw a rectangle around the handwriting that you want to convert
- Right-click (or control-click) within the selection
- From the menu that appears, click ‘Convert to text’
- Click ‘Convert selection’, and your handwriting will become text
Can Notability open Word documents?
No, but it can import Word documents, as well as Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations, and will open in the respective Mac apps – Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.
For most day-to-day notetaking, collation of content, and PDF annotation, Notability is an excellent app. However, it has stiff competition from the likes of GoodNotes and Microsoft OneNote. GoodNotes allows you to organize your notes more precisely than Notability does.
OneNote represents the best value for money, allowing you to install the app on various devices and platforms without having to buy the app each time.
Should you download it?
Yes, especially if you’re into taking notes.
- Allows you to import almost any kind of content into your notes
- Handwriting conversion included
- Lots of pen style and color options
- Can sync across Apple devices
- You must buy the app separately for iOS devices if you want to sync across
- Limited options for organizing your notes
- Competitors offer single purchase across devices