Free extension webpage translation
The Google Translate extension is a handy, quick tool you can install on Windows devices for free. It allows you to translate webpages in Chrome without jumping over to another page or app.
How do I install Google Translate?
It’s simple and quick– here’s how:
- In your Google Chrome browser, go to the Chrome Web Store
- Search for Google Translate in the extensions section
- When it appears in the search results, click on ‘Add to Chrome’
- In the pop-up that appears, click ‘Add Extension’
- The installation process will begin, and when it’s done, you’ll see a notification at the right of the address bar
How do I enable Google Translate in Chrome?
It will be activated automatically. Then, whenever you’re on a page that’s not in one of your predefined languages, a box will appear at the top-right corner of your browser.
You’ll have the options of which language to translate to, and you can check the box to always translate from that language.
Does Google Chrome automatically translate?
No, it doesn’t. However, in the browser settings, you can switch on the option to translate anything that’s not in one of your chosen languages. Occasionally, you may open a website that’s in a different language and if that's the case, you easily translate it to your preferred language in the settings.
Where is the Google Translate button?
When it’s needed, the Google Translate icon will appear at the far-right end of the address bar. Click on it to open the translation options.
The interface isn’t as intuitive as some of its competitors’ offerings, and it’s missing the automatic translation option. By contrast, Microsoft Edge has a built-in translator which has more options (including automatic translation) and has a cleaner UI.
It’s unlikely that you’re going to switch browsers because of one extension, and Google Translate is still very useful. If you’re looking for a good alternative, ImTranslator is one of the better-rated translation extensions in the Chrome Store.
Should you download it?
Yes, if your default browser is Google Chrome.
- Avoids having to switch to an app
- Option to hear words read out loud
- No impact on browser performance
- No option for automatic translation