Windows Defender 2019: Is it finally the ultimate free protection for your device?
Have you been looking for a program to safeguard your Windows desktop/laptop? This might just be the review you needed to see!
Windows defender is a smart choice
Providing basic protection against trojans, viruses, malware and ransomware, Windows Defender comes pre-installed with Microsoft Windows.
In case you don’t want to spend a penny on a third-party solution, Windows Defender seamlessly provides basic security against threats.
With the ability to detect other antivirus systems installed on the computer, Windows Defender allows you to easily remove/uninstall other scanners. But what makes this tool a preferred choice? Let’s dig deeper!
Since Windows Defender is a free tool, it offers basic security against viruses. What most people don’t know about is the inclusion of Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security. Not particularly rookie-friendly, it allows you to create and administer complex firewall rules for outbound and inbound protection.
In order to protect your local network, it’s important to set up firewalls. Thus, the comprehensive nature of Windows Defender Firewall gets it a big thumbs up!
The phishing protection automatically integrates with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, making it easier to neutralize online threats. For Chrome, you can simply add the Windows Defender Browser Protection plugin from the Chrome Web Store.
Ease of use
Windows Defender comes pre-installed with Windows laptops and desktops. It couldn’t get any easier, right? The program starts protecting your machine right out of the box. Based on specific requirements, you can administer settings in two areas:
· Windows Defender Security Center - Basic firewall, virus scanning, parental control and system health dialogs.
· Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security - Comprehensive network protection.
Since it’s straightforward and incredibly fast, users don’t need any technical know-how to set things up.
Since Windows Defender comes pre-installed, Microsoft resolves any issues or grievances you might encounter. You can even check out the Help and FAQ Center to set up scans, troubleshoot and resolve difficulties.
Users can even talk to the Microsoft Virtual Agent, and get access to Microsoft’s global support network. If you get stuck, Microsoft has sufficient resources to resolve the problem.
Where can you run this program?
With an off-chance of repeating things, let’s just say it again. Windows Defender comes integrated with Microsoft Windows. There’s absolutely nothing to download! You can be assured that your laptop/desktop is protected against threats right from the get-go.
In fact, security newbies won’t even know that the program is running in the background. It’s easy to configure, set up and remove, if the need arises.
Is there a better alternative?
Unlike other antivirus software or protection programs, Windows Defender doesn’t need a lot of resources. It simply runs in the background, and doesn’t need you to upgrade to expensive full versions. You won’t even know it’s there!
A lot of people prefer using Windows Defender as it does the job. But others disagree! Let’s see what other options you have.
· Avast: one of the most popular antivirus software, Avast is free-to-use. With robust malware protection, the platform also safeguards your computer against other threats. Using several features, you can protect your machine against phishing and network vulnerabilities too. Users can easily add a password manager, turn on game mode and conduct a comprehensive behavior analysis to identify issues. If you don’t want to spend anything on antivirus protection, Avast could be a really good choice.
· AVG: while AVG is a renowned name for real-time protection, it also delivers amazing add-ons, such as a firewall mechanism to ward off hackers, email protection, and payment protection for online shopping. While it doesn’t come with a quick scan feature, you can direct it to check specific folders and files. Unlike most free options, this one scans fast, especially once you’re done with an initial scan. Overall, a decent choice for free antivirus protection.
· Avira: one of the favorites among antivirus users, Avira comes with the perfect combination of malware protection and free add-ons. In fact, some of the features in this product are only available with paid offerings in the market. An independent lab AV-TEST rated Avira six on six for protection against viruses. It just can’t get any better for defense against threats. According to software testers, Avira doesn’t even slow down the PC, making it one of the most preferred choices among free antivirus alternatives.
Though Windows Defender isn’t the most complete antivirus around, it does come for free and offers basic protection. If simplicity and budget are high on your list of priorities, you won’t be disappointed.
Should you download it?
Yes. Windows Defender may not be the best choice, but it’s definitely a smart one.
- Easy to use
- Clean interface
- Free to use
- Doesn't give complete protection