Free app for creating GIFs
GifCam for Windows is a powerful free animation software that simplifies the process of turning screenshots into GIFs. It’s packed with options, including ways to reduce the GIF size to avoid problems with uploading or sending as an attachment.
What is GifCam?
GifCam gives you a virtual camera and allows you to frame the part of the screen you want to capture. As well as positioning the camera, you can also resize it to the exact area you want to capture and use in your GIF. Once you have your images, it’s easy to create and edit GIFs on your Windows device.
How does GifCam work?
It has two modes, Frame and Record.
If you want to use the app for straightforward screen capture, line the app’s ‘camera’ UI over the area to be captured and hit ‘Frame.’
To create a GIF, use the ‘Record’ option. GifCam will record whatever’s happening on your screen in a series of frames. The app puts them together to create your GIF.
Is GifCam safe?
The app is safe to download if you download it from the official website, as it isn’t bundled with any adware or malware. The developer says that they have noticed their app on other websites with security threats bundled with the app's download. So it’s safest to download it directly from the developer’s own site.
How do I install GifCam on my PC?
It’s extremely easy, and here’s how:
- Go to the GifCam website
- Click on the link for the latest version
- When your browser’s download manager asks you what to do with the file, click on ‘Open’
- Once the file has been extracted, double-click on the application to run it
How do I uninstall GifCam from my PC?
It’s not a modern Windows app, so it won’t appear in the apps list, but it’s still simple to remove by following these steps:
- Click in the search box next to the Windows Start button and type in ‘GifCam’
- In the search results, click on the small black arrow to the right
- In the pane to the right of the search results, click on ‘Open file location’
- File Explorer will open, and you should be able to see the app
- Select and delete the app
- Finally, open your browser’s ‘downloads’ folder and delete the files
It’s a very handy animated GIF-making app that’s easy to use. There are several good alternatives, with LICEcap and ShareX both worth considering.
Should you download it?
Yes. GifCam is free, and it’s super quick to install.
- Free, with no ads
- Quick and easy to install
- Makes it easy to target the area that you want to capture
- Uninstalling isn’t as intuitive as removing other apps